Parking is FREE!
Parking Policy for Work/Study Students and Volunteers
Volunteers and work/study students are allowed to park on the street around the Squirrel Hill campus. Parking hang tags are issued and should be displayed on the rear view mirror of your car while volunteering at the facility. We also ask that, as a courtesy to our neighbors, when at all possible, volunteers should avoid parking on Solway Street and park only around The Children's Institute on our side of the street. If it is a street cleaning day, volunteers may park on the opposite side of the street.
All information documented in a patient’s record or otherwise known about a patient at The Hospital, client of Project STAR or student of The Day School is confidential. It is the responsibility of all affiliates of our facility to safeguard this confidential information against misuse and/or from individuals who are not authorized to have access to it. To maintain confidentiality, please note the following policies:
- The Hospital and The Day School corridors, elevators and cafeteria are public areas. Patient information is not shared in these areas.
- Members of the press, police, government agencies and/or individuals seeking information about patients, the hospital and/or picture taking privileges are referred to the appropriate administrator.
- Additionally, all people affiliated with the facility are responsible for protecting and respecting the basic rights of all patients.
HIPAA: The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (a federal regulation)
The Children’s Institute abides by HIPAA guidelines. As a volunteer, this means that a reasonable effort must be made to use or disclose only the minimum amount of Protected Health Information (PHI) to do your job. That does not mean to withhold ANY necessary PHI for treatment purposes. Please remember to do the following:
- Close patient room doors when discussing the patient/student/client
- Avoid discussion about patients/students/clients in elevators and cafeteria lines
- Always wear your identification badge
- Do not leave PHI exposed
- Never leave a photocopier or printer when making copies of confidential information
- Destroy or return to the owner any confidential information left on a photocopier or printer
All volunteers and work/study students are required to obtain a child abuse clearance. Once you receive your criminal history check results from the Community Resources and Training department at The Children's Institute, you’ll need to fill out the child abuse clearance form and send it in to Childline
with a $10.00 money order and the results of your criminal history check. You can click on the link above to access a child abuse clearance form and directions for submission. Please read everything carefully and make sure you put your own address on the form, so it can be sent to your home once processed.
Upon receipt of your processed child abuse clearance form, please bring it in the Community Resources and Training department. We will view the original, make a copy for your file and return the official document for your records.
Return to Top of Page