Community Service Groups
At The Children's Institute, we welcome visits by community service groups and organizations. Not only is it fun for our children to interact with new friends, but it is a rewarding experience and a great way to serve the community in a meaningful way.
Our children enjoy activities such as arts and crafts, parties, karaoke, movie nights and game nights.
If you are interested in volunteering as a community service group, please contact Charlene Horvath, Program Coordinator of Developmental Play and Activities, at 412.420.2337 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your community service organization will be responsible for:
• Providing all of the materials needed for the activity (excluding select audio and video equipment)
• Arriving at least 15 minutes before the start of the activity to set up and receive any special information or instructions about the patients with whom you will be working
• Completing confidentiality forms prior to volunteer activity
Our Developmental Play and Activities Program staff will:
• Assist in helping to find the most appropriate activity for our current inpatient population
• Advertise your event to our patients and families and work with staff to transport them to the event
• Provide a room, tables and chairs
• Many of our patients have dietary restrictions so we ask there be no food or beverage items brought to the activity. This includes foods that are sometimes used in crafts like macaroni and rice.
• With the exception of a movie night, activities should never be longer than one hour.
• The maximum number of community service group volunteers for one evening is 12. Depending on the type of event, exceptions may be made as determined by the Developmental Play and Activities staff.
• Community Service Group activity nights need to be scheduled at least one month in advance.
• No photographs can be taken on the premises.