Students enrolled in The Day School are generally referred to us by their local school district, but there are also many others — physicians, social workers, etc. — who may recommend our school for a particular child.
Parents interested in having their child attend The Day School may schedule a tour prior to meeting with their school district liaison for special education, but will need to make their school district officials aware of their interest in having their child enrolled in our program. Many families discuss the possibility of a placement for their child with their school district representatives and schedule a visit to our school along with that representative.
From referral to enrollment
School-age students are referred by their local school district when it is determined that they are unable to provide an appropriate educational program for the student. In the case of the preschool age-student, the same referral process originates with the student’s Intermediate Unit.
Our unique ability to meet the needs of students with complex and severe disabilities is recognized locally and nationally as an outstanding program of comprehensive education and related services.
When a student is approved by the Pennsylvania Bureau of Special Education for placement in The Day School through the 4010 process, 60 percent of the tuition is paid by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and the remaining 40 percent is the responsibility of the referring school district.
When The Day School reaches the maximum number of students we can enroll under the 4010 process, the local school district is responsible for 100 percent of the tuition.
There are no additional charges for the comprehensive program of education and related services that appear on each student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The Day School is committed to providing cost-effective and successful special education and related services for all of our students.
It is also possible for a family whose school district does not refer their child for enrollment to establish a private pay contract with The Day School. Such special arrangements may be discussed with the director of The Day School.