Pediatric Nutrition Services
For a number of our patients, pediatric nutrition services are a pivotal part of the treatment plan; improving sustenance and health, as well as life experiences.
The inpatient treatment team
As part of our inpatient treatment team, our registered dietitians work with other members of the team including doctors, therapists, and family members. They evaluate the child’s nutritional status at admission, develop a care plan with measurable goals, and regularly communicate the patient’s nutritional status to keep everyone up-to-date.
As meals and nutrition are part of the family dynamic, our dietitians also support caregivers with educational activities and nutrition counseling. This information combined with detailed recommendations on discharge proves invaluable to parents when their children come home, relieving worry and uncertainty, while helping to maintain healthy habits.
The outpatient treatment team
For those children and families who need our clinical dietitians’ expertise, but not a hospital stay, we offer a number of outpatient services including:
- Functional Feeding evaluations and treatment
- Nutrition evaluation
- Nutrition counseling
Our registered dietitians regularly see patients for:
- Weight loss or weight management
- Special diets, including gluten free and casein free
- Food allergies and diet restrictions
- Management of enteral and parenteral nutrition
- Functional feeding difficulties
- Failure to Thrive
- Diabetes management
- Other nutritional concerns as referred by physicians and other medical professionals
- Nutrition evaluations
Nutrition Therapy is a very personal matter
As with all of our therapies and treatments plans, nutritional therapy plans are very individualized and take into account a number of personal factors including:
- Nutritional status
- Family needs
- Religious practices
- Cultural practices
- Emotional/physical/cognitive/language barriers
- Personal preferences and aversions
Download printable information here:
The Red, Yellow, Green® Weight Control Program
Using an individualized daily meal plan and the Red, Yellow, Green® Weight Control Program, calories are controlled by dividing food into low, moderate and high-calorie food groups. One learns to "go" with some foods, "be cautious" with some, and "stop," with others.
- The Green foods are low in calories, and second servings are permitted.
- The Yellow foods are high in calories but also are rich in the nutrients needed by the body. These foods are the basic foods for a well-balanced diet, and are included in the daily meal plan in specified amounts.
- The Red foods are high in calories and have limited nutrient content per calorie. Eating too many of these foods leads to weight gain. The use of the red foods is very limited in the daily meal plan.
Personal copies of the Red, Yellow, Green® book are available for purchase below. To place your order via phone, please contact Kari Chonko at 412-244-3052.