Prader-Willi Syndrome Treatment & Management
The Center for Prader-Willi Syndrome at The Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh is the world’s only comprehensive, hospital-based inpatient program for medical, behavioral and rehabilitation management of both children and adults with Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS). Led by Dr. Gregory Cherpes, our program uses an interdisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, dietitians, occupational, physical, speech/language and recreational therapists, psychologists and teachers.
Our team teaches behavioral control in the living environment, nutrition awareness, physical exercise and motor control, as well as social skills and self-motivation. Patients learn behavioral self-control while families and caregivers receive extensive training to help maintain the structure and support of the program following discharge.
The Children’s Institute provides:
- Expert hospital care for adults and children with PWS and related disorders
- Specialized dedicated setting, which meets the unique needs of individuals with PWS
- Absolute food control (often not achieved in general psychiatric or medical units)
- Experienced medical management
- Calm, skilled nursing staff who are extensively experienced with gaining patient cooperation to achieve necessary medical interventions
- Individualized psychiatric and behavioral treatment
- Intervention for cardio-pulmonary deterioration, acute psychiatric decompensation, and behavioral/environmental crises
Together, we achieve the amazing.
Our program treats the most challenging individuals with PWS— and we get the best results! On average, patients stay with us for 60 days and achieve the following during that time:
- 31% average increase in cardio endurance
- 27.5 pound average weight loss
- increased compliance with behavioral management
The results continue after completion of the program:
- 96% of patients continue or sustain weight loss 18 months post-discharge, with an average continued weight loss of 49 pounds
- 85% of patients have no acute or medical admission 9 months post-discharge
- 93% of patients have no psychiatric admission 9 months post discharge
For more information about our Center, please fill out the form below to receive a phone call.
Download our printable information sheet here.
The Center for Prader-Willi Syndrome (141 KB)