Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
At The Children’s Institute, our Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation services are led by Physiatrist Dr. Mary Louise Russell.
Our physiatrists see patients on both an inpatient and outpatient basis.
What is a Physiatrist?
These doctors are nerve, muscle and bone experts with a focus on developing comprehensive programs to restore and improve moment. They excel at:
- Diagnosing and treating pain
- Restoring maximum function lost through injury, illness or disabling conditions
- Treating the whole person, not just the problem area
- Providing non-surgical treatments
- Communicating with family and patients
A critical member of The Children’s Institute’s Team
By combining their expertise with that of other team members, our physiatrists able to develop individual treatment plans that optimize each child’s functional ability. In addition, physiatrists determine whether adaptive equipment is part of the treatment, and collaborate with the team to order orthotics, prosthetics, wheelchairs, and other equipment.