Curriculum and Support Services
Our instructional philosophy is simple. We work to help each student reach his or her full potential, focusing on independence and self-sufficiency
- across all areas of learning
- with multiple caregivers
- across multiple sites: home, school, and community.
Helping each student progress in his or her own way
- Each student has an individualized education program (IEP), and a learning plan based completely on his or her ability, way of learning and goals focusing upon self-sufficiency.
- Our extraordinary staff-to-student ratios deliver valuable one-on-one time.
- Established outcome areas are defined and include: Behavior-Socialization, Communication, Functional Academics- literacy and math, General Knowledge and Self-Advocacy, Mobility, Daily Living, and Recreation and Leisure
Giving each student incredible opportunities
Our program combines a functional curriculum— including art, music, adapted physical education, a fully-equipped library, and in-class computer resources—with a focus on building essential life skills.
The Day School boasts a number of accessible amenities such as:
- Fully equipped sensory room designed to encourage relaxation
- Large gymnasium
- Full-size swimming pool
- Student library
- Multi-purpose rooms for lunches and student activities
- Treatment rooms
- Kitchen and living spaces
We also provide a number of therapy and support services, most frequently within the classroom environment. “Pull-out” therapy is used for a limited time and only when the student needs to learn new skills that cannot be taught in the classroom. As soon as is possible and practical, the student will be re-integrated into the classroom to determine if the skill taught can be used in the day-to-day environment.
For more information, please call 412-420-2487.